30 Apr 2009

Life Is Better

I've got loads of old electrical bits and pieces, whether its cables for obsolete connections, broken headphones, video players without plugs attached, or even a powered VGA to SCART connector (I thought this would enable me to convert a VGA signal to SCART, and thus use a regular TV as a computer monitor - and then I found out it was more complicated than that).

On my last spring clean, I finally decided to despatch my bulky cathode ray TV to the cellar, because its screen size to bulk ratio was ridiculous. At the same time, I realised this action also makes my digital TV box rather pointless as well, so that has been crammed into a corner somewhere. It was only a 20 quid one that my Dad bought me from Aldi - the best German retailer in the country. Part of the reason for the lack of use is that our external aeriel is either knackered, fallen down or all of the above.

In the living room, we can receive (in analogue glory) around 3 terrestrial channels depending on climatic conditions, and occasionally get a burst of channel 5. Essentially, you have to be dedicated in order to tolerate it.

This is no bad thing.

I'm part of a box-set, selfish generation that likes entertainment on demand. I hear about a show, I download it, I watch it in its entirety, sans advertising (whether commercial advertising or 'look whats coming up next' BBC advertising). The effect this has had on me over the last few years is that my tolerance for regular broadcast television has diminished to a new low. I can just about cope with committing to a half hour BBC show, but commercial TV sends me into a rage, and I'll switch off almost immediately.

This is no bad thing.

I thought about getting the aeriel sorted so that we can get a strong enough signal for digital TV, but now I think that I've made a leap forwards (albeit without the best computer and equipment) and I don't have the desire to return to the days of wading through the shit that makes up most broadcast television. News? Always better from the radio - my images in my mind are more visceral, and the descriptions better (the internet provides the cross-referencing and 'media content' that the radio lacks).

When I'm dedicating myself to watching a 23 part drama (or comedy most likely), or otherwise engaged with internet activities, I now read more than I used to, so my conclusion is that the great leap forward in technology has actually been edifying for my soul. Because books are kick ass, and ITV and their ilk are like the collectivised shriek of a million morons.

No comments: