22 Nov 2010

Movember

I fucking hate 'Movember'.

Its a troll-ish thing to say, and on face value [boom!] it sounds quite harsh, because if you're ever critical of a person's method of raising money or awareness of an issue, you sir, are the cunt de rigeur.

My problem is with Movember is my lack of ability to articulate what it is about Movember that irritates me so.  I suppose on one level, its the cloying whimsy.  It feels like a ker-razy student prank.  But on a more gentlemanly level, I take beards and moustaches seriously.  I don't think growing one should be a 'thing' - least of all a humorous one.  When I see a good moustache or beard, I think "There's a chap who's spent a bit of time on that.  He may or may not care or know that his individual style is du jour.  God speed that Gent".

What spurred me to write this, somewhat later than initially planned, was that I made a decision to go for some mutton chops for no other reason than sometimes its good to see what something looks like.  Now, circumstances involving illness have transpired which has delayed this project somewhat, however early in the mutton days, I was confronted on no fewer than 6 occasions where people have pointed (fine), smiled (fine) and then said "Cool - is that for Movember?"  (cue blinding fucking rage).  "No"  the more-witty narrative-in-my-head version-of-conversations-past version of me thinks/says, "ITS A FUCKING BEARD GROWN BECAUSE I CAN GROW A FUCKING BEARD.  NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE A WHIMSICAL CHARITY EVENT".

Also, why should blokes care about testicular cancer exclusively?  Its like the fun runs for breast cancer only involving women.  Sure, you can get involved, but it seems to be part of a greater process of compartmentalising illnesses into "Will it affect me?  Yeah?  I'd better do a fucking run then" or "Fuck cervical cancer, I'm all man, me".  We all know people, and consequently, we could ALL be affected by any illness.  Having a relative die of one will not spure me into favouring that terminal disease over another when it comes to fundraising.

I'm off to shave anyway.

4 comments:

punkmonk said...

Movember raises awareness for prostate cancer, a massive killer which suffers from chronic underfunding in research, as there is a lack of publicity about the 'dirty' cancer, raising both money and awareness is an important thing. As prostate cancer only affects men, it would seem right we men should campaign for something which affects us men. Much as breast cancer in the vast majority of cases affects woman. Clever branding and a lot of will and effort has ensured Movember is a success. I think your choice to grow less usual facial hair during a month now traditionally (I say traditionally as Movember has been going on for more than a decade, although relatively new to the UK) was potentially your folly, if you had chosen December, I'm sure people would have appreciated your fine follicular grooming. Testicular cancer which has a 99% cure rate if caught early (cisplatin sorted that right out, give blue sky medicinal chemistry research a high five).

silince said...

I figured I would invite this.

Movember still annoys me.

punkmonk said...

if you were baiting me, you baited well

silince said...

I did say I was 'trolling' somewhat. I appreciate your informative comments also - its been a while since I've seen you Punkmonk! Welcome back!